2011-10-11

The One Chance Parent





The One Chance Parent


What kind of parents are we becoming in this day and time? We place blame on our children and their generation with regards to crime, disrespect, etc. My question is this; does the apple really fall that far from the tree?

Let me explain. I have heard all my life the clichés:


  • Kids these days do not respect their elders”
  • Back in my day” – that’s my favorite one
  • I never would have been able to get away with that”
  • My kids will never…” – always enjoy hearing this one; def not prophetic though

There’s a laundry list of other clichés I could mention but for time and relevance I’ll stop here.  In my observation, I have found that most parents seem to be more concerned with being their kid’s friend rather than their parent. So if you’re among the few of us that actually want to be a parent, what are you teaching your children?  What are you doing to make an impact in their life?

Parents, my charge to you is that you rise up! Stop complaining about your children’s attitude to others. Parents, stop gossiping about your child’s lack of respect to everyone and their grandma! Dad and Mom, stop spreading your family’s business to every Dick and Jane that crosses your path. Parents… simply put 

BE THE PARENT 

We as parents are only allowed one chance to make a difference in our children’s frail and fragile lives. When we choose our tech devices over time spent at a pretend tea party or playing doctor with their teddy bear; what message are we sending?  Or, when we choose to have a guy’s night out or a girl’s get away what are we saying? We are most likely telling them, that they come 2nd and maybe even third place in our life. Now this is not to be associated with the seldom date night. This is nights upon nights spent away from their children. How do I know this to be true? I deal with youth weekly, which have felt abandoned by their parents. We as parents have a great privilege that many are not so fortunate to have. We GET TO BE parents.

Separated families have an especially hard time with this. They somehow have become accustomed to only being part-time parents.

One of God’s greatest blessings in life is the ability to bare and raise children. Stop taking it for granted.

When my daughter was just under a year old someone gave me a card that read “anyone can be a father, it takes someone truly special to be a dad” So I’ll ask you; are you a mother and father, or are you a dad and mom?   

Parents, you have the right and the OBLIGATION to speak into your child’s life. What you speak into that life is up to you. I challenge you to put away your own agenda, complicated life styles, devices, and friends and spend that time opening up to your son or daughter. Become a real parent; let them see that you’re flawed just like they are. Help your children understand your past. If you want your children to be real and open with you… you need to be real and open with them!

God Bless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...