2010-07-23

A Call to Fast- 21 days

Friends and Family,

I pray this finds you all well. It is also my prayer that you would find great strength and encouragement to continue the fight for the Faith through this testimony.

I am overwhelmed by the grace and mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ. Last month on June 22, 2010 I woke up to dwell in God's word as I usually do. This morning, however was a bit different. As I begin to open and study the word the passage Isaiah 58:6 came to my heart. “Is not this the fast that I have chosen? To loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?” As I pondered and prayed heavily God began to deal with me that I should fast. So selfishly I thought, “I’ll fast today and God will move because Im obedient”. While this sounded like a good plan, this was not at all what God intended. Upon arriving to work I prayed through my hunger and ask God what and how He would have me to fast that it would bring Him and Him alone the Glory. (needless to say, be careful how you ask God what His will is) I opened my email and there staring me straight in the face was a letter that read fast for 21 days! 21 days? I thought, how could anyone do this, medically this just didn’t sound sane. But God quickly reminded me, that we are to be Christ like, in our actions, words, and everything we do- and if His son Jesus Christ did it, we should too.


I arrived home and revealed to Amanda what God has revealed to me, and she said- OK. That was confirmation. Usually when I feel like doing something and God has not confirmed with Amanda she is a bit apprehensive. I must add, that through this fast beside the almighty Father Himself, Amanda was extremely supportive and amazingly understanding!

Thursday July 22 was the completion of the Fast (I chose not to fast on the weekends) and through the entire period of fasting I have been overwhelmed and consumed by the peace and strength from God. I was a bit fearful though when a powerful out pouring of the Holy Ghost did not come during the fast or even on the last day. I thought, “did I miss something?” and God revealed to me that the cleansing process must be complete before the outpouring can begin. This is not to say that I did not feel God’s spirit and power moving- I did. Wednesday night I will be sharing the visions God has given me while on the Fast. This morning at 5:30am was a different story.

I was awakened to a preacher telling a story of “A Man called Norman” – while at first I wanted to hit snooze, the Holy Ghost compelled me to listen. And listen I did, with such intent and vigor. I held on the each passing word of the story of a friendship that was thought to help an unsaved friend, but really meant to open the spiritual blindness of the other. (I urge you to google or youtube “A Man Called Norman”) I began to weep almost uncontrollably as I listened, and prayed and studied God’s word. On the way to work, my tears along with the presence of God and the overwhelming passion of the Holy Ghost flowed more intently than they have in a while. Songs sounded more meaningful, the air smelled sweeter, and the world seemed like a “field white with harvest”. I know this has been a Fast that God has called me to and for that I am grateful. Through the past 2 years of my acceptance of God’s calling to preach, I have never been more consumed by the presence of God than I have through this Fast.

Isaiah 58:8- Then shall they light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be they reward.

God’s word tells us to fast in secret, because “whatever is done is secret shall be revealed in light” (Matthew 6: 17-18) I told only my wife of this Fast because I wanted unhindered, selfless acts of total submission to God. And that’s exactly what I found!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...